Triphala powder is beneficial in treating a number of issues ranging from weight loss to diabetes. Since it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent, it is to treat arthritis and reduce inflammation. It also has antioxidants and is used to prevent or delay aging. It also has some anti-cancer properties. One of the many home remedies recommended by Ayurveda for many simple day-to-day problems is Triphala churna.
So, what is triphala churna?
Triphala is not a standalone kitchen species or herb. Triphala is, in fact, a combination of two Sanskrit words, Tri, which means three, and Phala, which means fruit. This means ‘triphala‘ is not one fruit or herb, but three fruits in one, in their dried and powdered form. Triphala is composed of the following three fruits:
Embilica officinalis, commonly known to Indians as amla. It is also called Indian gooseberry.
Terminalia bellirica, commonly referred to as bibhitaki in many languages, and called vibhidaka in Sanskrit. Many people also call it bedda or baheda.
Terminalia chebula, called haritaki in Sanskrit, is a nut-like fruit that is picked when it is still yellow and ripening. It is commonly known as harad.
These three fruits are dried properly, and then mixed in the right proportions and sold as ‘triphala’. You can also try and make triphala at home.
While the three are used separately for various treatments plans, together, they can be quite a power packed treatment for a number of health problems. Let’s take a look at the Triphala benefits.
Health Benefits Of Triphala Churna
1. Wards Off Digestive Problems
Triphala works great as a laxative and can be used to stimulate bowel movements (1). People with digestive problems or bowel movement issues can have one spoon Triphala before going to bed at night. You can also take a spoon early morning on an empty stomach with loads of water to bid farewell to bloating, fussy stomach, or even diarrhea.
What Does It Do?
- Cleanses your stomach and ensures clearer bowel movements
- Relieves flatulence
- Provides nutrition in the form of nutrients and vitamins to the entire digestive tract, starting from the esophagus to the anus.
- Improves and strengthens the rectal muscles
What You Need To Do For Constipation
To get rid of constipation, have a glass full of warm water with 2 teaspoons of triphala powder every night. Make sure you don’t eat anything after having it. However, you may have water after half an hour.
2. Acts As A Detoxifier
Triphala detoxifies your body and makes your skin glow (2).
Take a glass of Triphala powder and water mix before you go to sleep To detoxify your system.
What You Need To Do For Detoxification
- Mix two teaspoons of triphala churna in a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of crushed ginger to it. Let it soak for about 8 hours. Alternatively, you can let it soak the whole night.
- Boil the resultant till it gets reduced to half its original quantity.
- Strain and add a dash of lemon and your detoxifier is ready to consume.
For best results, have it while it is warm.
You need to have this drink every morning on an empty stomach for at least one week.
3. Improves Eyesight
Triphala is a potent eye tonic that will keep your eyes healthy and vision sharp (3).
What You Need To Do
- Just mix and soak about 1-2 spoons of Triphala powder in warm water and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, strain the soaked mixture and use this mixture to clean your eyes
4. Improves Blood Circulation
Having Triphala Churna once a day is a great way to stimulate and improve blood circulation (4). It improves and increases the blood flow in the capillaries. It also increases the count of the red blood cells in the blood.
5. Boosts Immunity
Thanks to the wonderful benefits of this Ayurvedic solution, which include cleaning the gastric and digestive tract, improving blood circulation, and nourishing the body from within by providing the necessary nutrients and minerals, Triphala helps boost the body’s immunity (5).
6. Reduces Inflammation
The regular consumption of Triphala helps reduce internal and external inflammation, which one might have due to poor immunity or lack of nutrients in the body (6).
7. Is Rich In Nutrients
Triphala juice is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body to function well. It is rich in iron, which nourishes your body and prevents anemia. So, why opt for something else when you can get a packaged deal in the form of Triphala, which is completely natural and easily available (7).
8. Removes Excess Fat
Triphala helps in the removal of excess fat from the body, be it around the belly or anywhere else. It also helps flush out harmful toxins and excess fat present in the body. This can help lower the risk of contracting potentially fatal conditions (8).
9. Aids Weight Loss
It is not surprising to find Triphala being an active participant in weight loss or in removing belly fat. So, why don’t you go for Triphala juice, which will help manage your weight? It controls the satiety center by inducing the secretion of cholecystokinin. This hormone sends out a message to the brain and makes you feel full quicker than usual (9).
Wondering how to take triphala for weight loss? For faster weight loss, take around a tablespoon of Triphala churna with warm water three times a day. Alternatively, you can mix half a tablespoon of this churna with half tablespoon of trikatu churna and some honey in lukewarm water and take it every morning and nights.
10. Relieves Bone And Joint Pain
Troubled by joint pains? Triphala exhibits anti-inflammatory characteristics, thus providing relief from gout, joint pain, arthritis, and other problems. It provides nutrients that help strengthen your bones and flush out excess uric acid, which can lead to inflammation (10). So, the next time you feel like ripping your joints apart, mix half a tablespoon of triphala powder in a glass of water and drink it.
11. Regulates Blood Pressure
Did you know that taking Triphala powder regularly can help you get rid of blood pressure fluctuations? (11)
Triphala has blood pressure regulating properties. It promotes better blood flow and keeps the cholesterol levels in check. The juice also contains essential fatty acids, like linoleic acid, which helps lower blood pressure and prevents heart problems. Its anti-spasmodic properties reduce the risk of blood pressure spikes.
12. Heals Wounds Quicker
Triphala has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that make it effective in speeding up the healing of wounds (12). This anti-inflammatory characteristic makes it cure and prevent anything from joint pain to bronchitis.
13. Prevents Viral And Bacterial Infections
Be it the common cold or HIV, taking Triphala churn can prevent bacterial and viral infections (13). This is the reason this powder has been a big part of Ayurveda since centuries.
14. Has Anti-Allergic Properties
Triphala churna can be taken by highly sensitive people without triggering any harmful allergic reactions (14).
15. Prevents Cancer
They say nature has a solution for everything, which seems quite right in the case of Triphala churna. This particular medicine is said to carry anti-cancer properties and exhibits radioactive, chemoprotective, and antineoplastic effects (15).
16. Good For Diabetics
Unsurprisingly, Triphala has even found a place in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. This is because of its hypoglycemic effects, which make the intake of insulin by the cells easier, and hence, you don’t need to take insulin shots (16).
17. Cures Dizziness And Motion Sickness
Do you feel dizzy and uncomfortable when you are traveling? Use Triphala to get rid of motion sickness (17).
All you need to do is take two grams (approx. half a teaspoon) of Triphala churna with a teaspoon of honey every time you feel dizzy. You may continue taking this remedy every morning if you are a constant victim of dizziness.
18. Good For Babies
Looking for a relatively safe and effective Ayurvedic solution for your kids? Opt for triphala churna.
Give your kids a small quantity of triphala churna with milk, honey, or even water to eliminate a number of bacterial and viral infections, including cold, cough, and fever, and boosting the immunity as well (18).
However, make sure that you add only a pinch of triphala powder for kids below the age of one and a teaspoon for the older ones.
19. Helps In Regulating Hormonal Imbalances
Are you a victim of irregular and painful periods? It’s time you start regular intake of triphala powder to keep your hormones in check.
All you need to do is to have a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of triphala churna. Consume it two hours after dinner and just before sleeping. This will help regulate the hormones and keep you stress-free. Triphala churna also has a positive effect on our endocrine glands, especially our thyroids (19).
20. Cures Bad Breath
Triphala powder is one of the best Ayurvedic cures for that embarrassing bad breath (20).
Avoid bad breath by mixing half a teaspoon of triphala churna with honey and licking it off. Alternatively, mix a teaspoon each of triphala churna and salt in warm water and gargle this solution every morning to get rid of bad breath.
How To Use The Triphala Churna
Now that we have established and discussed in detail the many benefits of Triphala churna, it is important to know and understand how to take Triphala churna for best results.
- Triphala With Lemon – One is supposed to eat a spoonful of Triphala with water. But, if you find it tough to gulp it down, mixing it with a little honey, lemon, or sugar is a good idea. However, make sure that you add one of these only to slightly alter the taste of Triphala powder, not to make it taste sweet.
- Triphala In Tea – You can also make tea with the powder to get its benefits. Boil it in water and drink after adding about a teaspoon of honey to the mixture for good taste.
- Triphala As Tablets/Capsules – If you are facing troubles in gulping down the bitter powder, you can go for tablets or capsules that are easily available in the market. You can take a tablet thrice a day, but don’t take it more than that. Taking capsules increases the chances of triphala reaching the exact destination without making you want to puke. And, what’s better? These tablets aren’t that costly too, so you can enjoy the benefits without pondering over your budget.
- Triphala As An Eyewash – You can also use Triphala churna as an eyewash. Just soak 1-2 teaspoons of this mix in lukewarm water overnight and filter it out in the morning. Wash your eyes with the mixture.
- Triphala As A Face Mask- Did you know that achieving young and glowing skin can be easy? All you need to do is make a face mask using triphala. Use it once a week for best results. Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and add 1 1/2 spoons of triphala powder to it. Apply the paste evenly on your face and neck. Wash it off after 10-15 minutes. With regular use, your skin will become smooth and blemish-free.
A Word Of Caution
Even though Triphala churna is a safe choice, there are a few risks involved. Let’s take a look at them:
- Pregnant women should not take triphala due to its downward energy flow, which can even lead to miscarriages. Even breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking triphala as this herb can be passed on to the child via breast milk and can be harmful.
- Don’t give your baby more than a pinch of this powder as it can lead to diarrhea and other stomach troubles.
- Never take more than the recommended quantity of Triphala churna as it may cause loose motions and dehydration.
- If you are diabetic, consult your doctor before consuming triphala.
- Since triphala is highly rich in fiber, its excessive use can lead to bloating problems. So, if you are already suffering from gastric troubles, take mild dosages.
There is no set time or season to start its usage. The daily consumption of triphala powder ensures that one gets the desired results.
The best way is to consume the powder early in the morning on an empty stomach with warm water. Another way is to consume the powder at night about 2 hours before bedtime with warm water. It is better to know the dosage that works for you and stick to it. Triphala paves the way for good health and healthy living. One can simply take a spoonful of it each day and bid goodbye to some of the biggest health issues and problems.